Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Boiled sultana cake

Boiled Sultana Cake - Astar's Recipe from Good Morning TVNZ

It's moist, rich and beyond delicious.The great thing about this cake is that it will keep for a good week and there is more eating in it than bought biscuits.

125 gm butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp spice
500 gm sultanas
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiled water
zest of 1 lemon
drop or two of almond vanilla essence

2 eggs beaten
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

* Preheat oven to 150c
* Line a medium baking tin with baking paper


Into a large pot boil together:

* Butter, fruit, spice, soda, sugar, lemon zest, almond/vanilla essence and water for around 10 minutes

* Let cool.

* Add beaten eggs then sifted flour and baking powder.




Bake 1 hour or until skewer inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Let cool before cutting, if you can wait.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 am

    Umm, love boiled cakes, they're so moist and have so much flavour. I'm going to make a favourite of ours on Friday, carrot and fruit cake, it's boiled too and all mixed in the one pan before it goes in the oven so I love the lack of clean up too!

    Brenda
    (Racing Girl from D2E)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM Sue. This looks devine.

    I have never done a boiled cake, so this will be a novelty.

    Just added you in my reader, so I don't lose your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first time I've tried one! Will definately do it again! It is very moist, the dried fruit doesn't try to break yer teeth!haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.